It has been growing more and more difficult to do the work we needed to do on our ancient computer equipment, so we recently re-kitted ourselves.

I almost wished we hadn't.

Why do computer people change things so much?  I'd transferred all the files and gubbins from the old machine to the new one and just wanted to access them to continue work.  But how to find them?  Nothing looked the same, everything was in different places, and none of the icons looked like they used to.

Tentative clicking brought up a box which invited me to personalise my experience.  What exactly does that mean?  If it's my experience surely it's personalised.  

I just want to look at my files.  

Another box popped up and explained excitedly how the screen was now something-or-other with extra graphic wotsits.  Presumably that's good.

I just want to look at my files.

A menu dropped down to explain that I could express my mood with different theme colours (what's the colour for grumpy?), and personalise - that word again - my desktop.  I have a small plant next to the keyboard on the top of my desk, but don't see the new equipment helping me look after it.

Where are my files?

And why are these inane messages always so matey?  I reconfigured something or other and a small waving flag popped up with the word 'bravo' and confetti.  I'm at work for goodness sake, not at a kiddies party - and why should I feel good about being congratulated by a machine?

I think the problem is that computer people think I'm interested in their products.  I'm not, not really.  Computers are tools, that's all.  If I go out for a meal then I enjoy the food, but don't enthuse about the shape of the cutlery.  If I'm working then I'm writing, editing, typesetting, not considering how pretty the icons are, or the shape of the screen.

I found my files eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog